Hello & FEM software development for Prosthetics

Hello everyone, my name is Dara, from Ireland and Canada.

My open source non-profit organization in EU would like to develop 3D printed prosthetics and orthotics as some of your have developed here but with very advanced software development.

In particular focus on FEM (Finite Element Method) pre-fitting analysis, to maximize the comfort and safety of the printed limb.

We have no access to some refugee camps to provide this as a service and as a training for the displaced people.

We use Wolfram Mathematica for software development, we also use 64 cpu core servers with 1 TB of physical memory to speed up the computations.

I am looking for new friends who are interested in the R&D part of this + interested in training the needy communities in both education and operation of the said technologies.

Regards,

Dara

Kilkenny , Toronto

Hello @dara! Welcome in our community, it is a pleasure! Your work is very interesting and I would want to suggest you two possibilities to collaborate with us:

• we are developing a myoelectric hand, FABLE, and we need help to complete the electronic part and the final 3D model. @Cristian_C is coordinating the project, would you be interested?

• with our volunteer from Nigeria @OLUWAmuyiwa we want to start a remote and online educational program to African local communities. Are you interested to collaborate to make it possibile? :slight_smile:

Thanks again! :slight_smile:

It is our pleasure to help with both projects.

I will make a separate post on FABLE to let you know what we have.

On the Nigerian education, please see some samples, these modules are used in US and Canadian colleges by tenured professors, we can easily make easier or harder ones. Note the Mathematical symbolism and graphing, all graphics in SVG, all modules are variated i.e. refresh the screen and you get a unique new variation and auto graded. Note that all modules run all popular tablets and smart phones as well as PCs:

https://my.compclassnotes.com/guest/317/practice

Lots of animated like modules
https://my.compclassnotes.com/guest/756/definition

Anatomy and Organic Chemistry, we are at the beginning of this development:

https://my.compclassnotes.com/guest/382/definition

https://my.compclassnotes.com/guest/784/lecture

https://my.compclassnotes.com/guest/340/practice

https://my.compclassnotes.com/guest/248/example

Software is based upon Wolfram Mathematica, we provide teacher training and programmer training as well. We train over Skype or other screenshare techs, we have trained 3 teachers already with great success.

We provide a Creative Commons open source license for interested parties.

More in other posts.

Dara

@dara We will be very glad to work with you as regards Prosthetic and Biomedical engineering education in Nigeria and Africa in general.

Presently, we are working with @SOMHO in establishing a Production and Educational Centre in Hargeisa, Somaliland. You can view the link of the conversations below.

I will look at the links you have provided and see if they would be suited to what we are trying to do.

It is my pleasure to provide such services. Before we talk about details some issues need to be discussed.

The training is quite intensive.

PHASE 1
It requires the trainee to develop some skills in math and physics relevant to amputations. It will basically amount to last year of high school and first year of college say in US.

PHASE 2:
Meanwhile they trainee needs to lean how to operate the 2D scanner with a Windows laptop. Scanning part is easy. But then he needs to STITCH the scan together and CLIP to make the manifold necessary for the 3D software. These are not easily done, even the American technicians find them involved.

PHASE 3:
The 3D scans uploaded into our servers, to analyze and come up with the files for the 3D printing. Analysis looks like the image I attached here.

We need to study the map on the amputation stump to know regions the pressure will be maxed to avoid further injuries due to bad fit and even bone splintering.

Our goal is to empower the locals, over the generations, to build their own hi tech organization in producing such medical applications and develop applicable educational programs.

Thanks @dara

Seems like you have done this kind of project before and I am sure that we can start something meaningful in Hargeisa, Somaliland.

The rent of the space is due to start reading from June 1. @SOMHO is ready with the learning personnel . . .

We can all work together with @blenzi @Cristian_C and @Valentino12

Let me know what equipment and internet connection you have.

Do you have 3D scanner and 3D printer.

Computers? Windows? Broadband connection?

We have nothing save the rented space for the project.

This is why we are looking out for partners that will be interesting in helping us build these centres in Africa from the scratch. OBM members were the first to show interest but we need more people to join in.

The Hargeisa Project is one of the few initiatives we want to establish in Africa. We hope you can join us in the kickstarting process.

Olumuyiwa Omole
from Nigeria

Ok I understand. I will talk to our organization and we see what can be done.

Can you get broadband internet connection? How much it costs in US dollars.

And for now say 1 single windows latop, with 8 GIG of memory, again please specify the cost in US dollars.

D

forgot to ask if there is reliable electricity

The space rent covers the Internet and the Electricity Bill and they are all summed to $1,500 and the price for a 8GB RAM Windows Laptop is $800. Take a look the documents developed for the purpose of this project.

The internet may not be broadband but it will be regular. Electricity is relatively available too.

If you want us to discuss more, we can talk through:

E-mail: infonigeria@thedeepproject.org
Sykpe: starkekind
Whatsapp: +234 708 686 5816

Before we talk we need to have a base understanding that matches.

First you need serious bandwidth to internet in order to transfer the 3D geometry files to our server for analysis and possible remote medical professionals to comment and modify. The geometry files are huge!

Starting from the beginning it takes the technicians 15 months or more of training before you could embark upon any serious work.

We do not believe in sending western people to the location, our approach is training online, intensely and day by day, to produce local talent that could do the work.

Last you need a Micro Data Center, in order to support larger staff and building:

I am awaiting for estimates from some American firms for producing a diesel powered such data center. This is needed for you to have serious interest by others.

The latter requires fundraising, we are willing to help out with that, but we need first to develop a simple training plan plus detailed operating plan.

I will keep in touch once I have the said estimates.

Dara

We can work out the bandwith issue as there are Internet Service Providers that we could subscribe to.

As regards the training, we are also ready and to allay your fairs as regards the success of the training, the 15 trainees are all university graduates which will make the training go smoothly as expected.

At The DEEP Project (see the first of the pictures I sent) that I happen to be the Lead Initiator, we also believe that people should rise up to be the solutions to their problems with minimal help from outsiders in order to foster sustainability.

The DEEP Project will work together with you as regards fundraising as it is one of our responsibilities in Hargeisa Project. Soon @SOMHO and the interested OBM crew will join us in this conversation.

Warm Regards,
Olumuyiwa Omole
https://thedeepproject.org

Terrific.

I called an African American executive in Manhattan who works for one of the top financial firms and he agreed to support the project, pending proper documentation and plans.

I keep you posted.

@dara that’s great what you can offer! Many thanks from all! :slight_smile:

Hello @dara Nice to meet you
Thank you for your helping for Hargeisa Project, Cheers, I also Canadian citizen I live in Ottawa but the last 3 yrs I’m in Hargeisa -Somaliland

Grate @OLUWAmuyiwa you rite As regards the training, the 15 trainees are all university graduates which will make the training go smoothly as expected
The internet and. Electricity It is available at any time a day and night and you can, You can order as much as you want or benefit

@dara, I think we should start working on the documentation and plans.

I am ready whenever you want to commence. @SOMHO and I will work together with you as regards this. OBM will also work with us in integrating their own agenda into the project.

Every one in this project must give an input to the success of the project.

Let us know what you have in mind and take a look at the pictures I sent and let us know your view about what we need to add or edit.

I am glad this project is moving on!

Thanks to All!!

Let me explain to everyone what the fundamental issues are so we are all thinking the same way:

1. The Prosthetics using 3D printing requires very serious software development to alter the shape of the manifold required to house the stub (amputated limb). There are 1000s of such 3D printing projects on the net as you have seen and they all run into the same problem, the 3D printed manifold does NOT fit! Back to manual fitting and handcrafting

2. This software development using FEM (finite element method) is the same used to design jet fuselage and bridge designs and so on. They required seriously educated engineers at least masters degrees and quite few years of experience. They are available but they demand large payments.

3. Our ideas was to open source this development, which mostly myself and some of my programmers will take part in, but provide that for the remote communities in need. In doing so higher educational level and training of the remote individual required.

4. In order for FEM to run fast so the results are ready in seconds to minutes, very large server with parallel cpu cores required. We do have such servers, and remote connection required to upload the 3D geometry of the stub. Even that requires education and of course broadband connection.

NOTE: These are required for a manifold with no moving parts, the moving joints is an entirely different project which requires serious attention of probably 4 or 5 other experts than myself.

Putting all these together this summer we need to plan how to accomplish all these given the requirements of the remote communities, and how much capital we need to invest.

You are gentleman Valentino, no need to thank us, it is our duty as Europeans and Canadians.

I lived in Toronto for a while after moving from Boston area. I worked with Somalian refugees in Boston and quite familiar with the culture.

Our focus is educating the girls, of course boys too, but we need to make sure Somalian women are educated and exposed to techs.

Exclusion of the women does the Somalian nation a disservice. As you noticed with our refugee girls education at West Bank our organization if pioneering female teacher training and female students education.

The modules run on most smartphones, so inexpensive hardware could empower these girls to uplift their lives.