Project: RAM (Rise And Move)

RAM is an acronym for “Rise And Move”

As a result of scarcity of 3D printable prosthetic leg designs that are affordable and durable for amputees, the RAM design Team as seem it fit to embark on a project that would spread the use of 3D printed leg prosthesis all over the world!

Presently, we have a honeycomb-inspired design that weighs approximately 900g. The idea is to reduce the weight and as well increase the durability either by improving the design or changing the printing materials.

If anybody has questions, comments or contributions, feel free to drop a comment!

Thanks!

@OLUWAmuyiwa congratulations for all the work done until today. That’s a great team working in it, invite all the members, we would be pleases to know better each of them and build together new improvements of RAM project :slight_smile:

Awesome @OLUWAmuyiwa!!! Did you make some improvements?

Not yet @blenzi we really need more volunteers to join and add some improvements to the design . . .

This is also because of our distances. I will work on finding volunteers but we need support from the OBM community

Absolutely yes @OLUWAmuyiwa, with new technologies we can overcome all distances!

I would like to know more about this project.

• First of all, how will it be actuated? Have you planned any kind of motor or are you planning on a static (non-actuated) solution?

• Have you made any sketch of the full project you might want to share? How much of the leg is it going to replace?

• If it’s going to be a full leg replacement, you might want to shift away from a fully 3d-printed structure to lower the production cost, and stick to 3d printing only on the smaller replaceable parts (like hinges, linkages, supports); if it’s going to replace feet then you can fully print it, but maybe you can rework the model to use less material while keeping the same strength.

To answer your questions:

1. It will be a non-actuated one - fully mechanical i.e. manual to cut cost to the minimum.We are still going to embark on designing the actuated type but not now . . .

2. Yes, we have a sketch that has been developed into a proper design. I am sharing the pictures below.

3. It will be both full and part replacement.

Please let us know what you think and how you plan to help with the project. the project is on hold for now because there are few designers ready to take the responsibility of improving on the existing design. We hope to have you on the team soon.

Thanks!

@OLUWAmuyiwa have you ever seen similar projects and design like these: https://3dprint.com/tag/3d-printed-prosthetic-leg/

We have pla carbon charged for tests :slight_smile:

Hey guys, do you have any news?

None yet for now but we are working the possibility of using Mathematica to conclude the project.

How can I help here I am a prosthetics/orthotics assistant. I don’t yet have any experience in the field of engineering.

@Toluwanimi perhaps we can talk better through email or whatsapp.

@ OLUWAmuyiwa

Hello.
Our team could help you to improve prosthesis design.
First of all we suggest to change the shape. Now it’s like a shoe. We could make the shape thinner, following the shape of a real foot. In this way the prosthesis can be inserted into a shoe or sandal. The gol will be to find a good compromise between functionality and esthetic. We will try to do it as soon as possible to share with you our progress.
Bye

Thanks @DAMBrosRobotics!

I really like the modification you have done with the foot design so far and I am sure we will be successful in the transformation of RAM to a better one.

We will keep the community updated as regards our process and progress.

It is a sweet collaboration between OBM and DAMBros Robotics.