Concept hand that needs a modeler

Hi I’m president and founder of a 501c3 in Tampa Fl., a chapter of e-NABLE. I’ll put all the facts out below and if anyone wants to model the more the merrier so that we get an operational hand:
Case Study and Trial Solutions:
Case 373 on Enable Web Central
Post traumatic brachial plexus injury resulting in flaccid paralysis of the left hand below the wrist.
Our recipient in this case, has an intact hand anatomy with the capability of wrist flexion and extension. He does not have motor or sensory function from the wrist to the fingers. There are atrophic changes with noticeable mild ischemia. There are no compatible existing devices. The Airy Arm, Frog and some other basic designs are not suitable in this case.
The current HTF plan is to create an exoskeleton that with wrist flexion will close the hand into a gripping position.
Device #1. Initial attempt was to create a glove to cover the hand with channels in the palmar surface with pass to the dorsal surface between the fingers. The concept was to have strings flow from the fingertips of the channel to the wrist. At the wrist would be a modification of the 3D printed flexor/tensioner mechanism. The concept was not achieved due to the inflexibility of the silicone glove, difficulty sewing the channels and impracticality of the recipient getting his flaccid fingers into the glove. We have tried a silicone glove with tensioners, but this was unsuccessful as the recipient could not get his fingers into the narrow spaces.
A variation of this using an oversized golf glove may be considered.
Device #2. The engineering is only in the planning stage of using pulleys and a rack and pinion with rod to push flat flexible spring steel strips forward to close each of the fingers simultaneously of the top of the exoskeleton. The exoskeleton would be secured with multiple sized rings on each finger. The exo-hand palm would be secured with a Velcro wrap.
Two types of pulley mechanisms have been theorized in our workshop. All involve reverse of the drive on flexion using the tensioner to glide the forward mechanism, ultimately closing the hand on flexion. This idea is a modification of a hand originating in Japan. Recent communication with the designer has not has resulted in his comment that it will be going to commerce in the future. There was no effort to assist us.
This project is at a slow pace as we have not had a CAD modeler in the chapter, who is active and capable of the design. I am going to currently present this case to the Global e-NABLE Community for assistance.
Case 373 on Enable Web Central:
Post traumatic brachial plexus injury resulting in flaccid paralysis of the left hand below the wrist.
Our recipient in this case, has an intact hand anatomy with the capability of wrist flexion and extension. He does not have motor or sensory function from the wrist to the fingers. There are atrophic changes with noticeable mild ischemia. This project is at a slow pace as we have not had a CAD modeler in the chapter, who is active and capable of the design.
*Device 3 Sept. 13, 2018
Purpose:

Create an Open Source hand for the e-NABLE Community to serve as a gripping device for a person with an intact hand, but no motor function below the wrist. (Sensory function is not a part of the design).

Steps to Development of Design:

Take a photo of the Dorsum of my left forearm and hand on a white surface. Covert the .jpeg to a flat open 3D obj file. Scale the file to actual size.
New Concept Hand to be modeled and. stl files created:
The obj file will be flat Voronoi Tessellation (See Image) appearance (like a brace) and 1/8 inch thick. The palm would be clam shell, so it goes over the natural palm dorsum and the thenar eminence is wrapped around the thumb by thermoforming it into the palm with an accordion hinge coming off the top to the thumb phalanx connectors. It is cushioned and self-clamping, with two Velcro straps.

The wrist is attached with lobster tail like hinge to the forearm. Possibly with a Nijaflex or nylon material. (Hinges are accordion like for wrist and each phalanx). The forearm is thermoformed like the typical enable hand with tensioner on the top. Sides of fingers have two enclosed channels for string and elastic cord on top of fingers. The tip of the finger (distal phalanx) is like a thimble with the accordion hinge on the top leading back to the medial and proximal phalanx. The proximal has a ring underside for the flaccid finger to slide through and hold it in place. Ideally the entire finger 3D print can be printed at once, so the flexible hinge is part of the structure. (This would require a printer using multiple materials).

More details and design options:
The idea is to modify a typical e-NABLE flexion extension hand that fits as a clam shell on top of our recipient’s hand and fingers. The fingertip would be thimble like, (see image), each phalanx is covered and hinged like the flexy fingers and joined to the palm top in a similar manner. Each of the finger covers would have three channels. The top channels for the elastics for finger extension, two side channels to pass the tensioner cords to the tension box on top of the gauntlet.
The clam top of the hand would have matching string channels (possibly one channel for each tensioner pair of strings) the elastic would have a tie off. The Hand Clam Cover will be printed flat for thermoforming. It will include a splint like wrap around the thumb into the palm surface.
Fingers have small Velcro wraps like rings or in another design option the finger cap closest to the palm can have a plastic ring sized to the recipient.

Images: Voronoi Tessellation, Saebo Hand, Saebo Thumb, Saebo Index finger, Recipient EWC 373.

This request was answered for design and modeling by Nick Rouse of Pontiac Michigan an industrial mold designer and Myles Marcus at University of Florida who has oversight of about 3oo tech students.
Each has agreed to produce files for the Concept Hand.
Status is that neither has delivered in the past month that they have had my drawings and outline of functional motion. In recent email correspondence, Nick has been unresponsive and Myles states he now has students on the project but has not provided status.
12/13/2018
Although there have been a few generous people offering to assist and design there has not been a drawing or file created since September, 2018 when the request went out onto the e-NABLE Network. Today a gentleman, designer from California published a iteration of the Phoenix hand with nails and nail polish. He offered to assist those in need. I have contacted Damien Gilliams (Damos Designs)and we will speak tonight to discuss the options and if he feels comfortable to jump in here and now.
to discuss the options and if he feels comfortable to jump in here and now.
to discuss the options and if he feels comfortable to jump in here and now.
You can always reach out to HandlingtheFuture@gmail.com
Rich B

Dear Rich B,

I think in India we have a movement in this direction. I am connected to them. But I am in Sydney on vacation. This end of month I will be back.
I suggest some people: Write to them : Mr. Yash Khawade email: ykkhawade@gmail.com, and Mr.Rajesh.G, Senior Academic Executive
at MOBILITY INDIA.
1st & 1st “A” Cross, J.P.Nagar 2nd Phase
Bangalore 560078. Karnataka - INDIA
Tel: +91-080-2649 6999 / 2649 2222 / 2659 7337 (Ext. 114)
Fax: +91-080-26492222 Ext.110
e-mail:academicdept@mobility-india.org
They are well connected with 3d printing guys in this area.
Please Give my Reference as Mr. Avinash Sonawane of Goa India.

I will still try to recollect if I have missed any more contact.
Hope this meets your needs and the dilemma is resolved.

Thank you, I saw your personal email before this Forum post. We can connect soon.

Rich